I’m struggling with this opening, the same as I struggled on Friday night at the start of the show to find the words to say, but I’ll say that this evening of boxing was a true memorial to a very good friend and colleague in Gareth.
For those that didn’t know Gareth, he was a great guy, hardworking, always out working somewhere to support his family, but made time for boxing, he wouldn’t miss a show, he was on his way up too, his hard work and dedication to the sport was being recognized by those around him. Sadly he suffered an epileptic fit just in the new year, and he didn’t round after the fit, leaving behind his partner and two children. The boxing community was in shock, I was in shock and still can’t quite believe it. I shared on Friday night, about our trips to various towns across South Wales, straightening his bow tie and trying to get him to smile between bouts, he loved cars and would talk my ear off about them and buffets… I will miss you mate, and sad our paths will not cross again, I will remember the good times we shared and now rest in peace.
Firstly a massive thank you to the organizers to Keith from Cwmbran ABC and Simon from Torfaen Warriors; the sponsors that donated which came from across the welsh amateur boxing association and the professionals as well, local business that contributed too. those who donated prizes for the raffle or the auction, I’m not sure of the complete total that was raised, but it will be put into trust for his children to use in future. So thank you!
Secondly the results…
- An Exhibition bout between Shain Mcintyre (Torfaen Warriors) and Terry Malane (Chepstow)
- Jay Pitman (Factory) beat local Dom Shellam (Cwmbran ABC) by unanimous decision.
- Axel Hegarty (Victoria Nash) beat Kayd Dean (Chepstow) by unanimous decision.
- Saad Abdullah (St Joes) beat Michael McDonagh (Always) in the battle of Newport by unanimous decision.
- Exhibition bout between Cefen Steel (Torfaen) and Levi Holms (Chepstow)
- Scott Richards (Pontypridd) beat Ben Wetter (St Joes) by unanimous decision.
- Exhibition bout between Uwan Phillips (Somerton) and Jordan Thomas (Heads of the Valley)
- James Harris (heads of the Valley) beat Iestyn Wangiel (Gelligaer) by split decision.
- Jak Williams (Caerphilly) beat Zak Phillips (Victoria Nash) by unanimous decision.
- Aiden Price (Cwmbran) beat Ivan Hernandez (Splott) by unanimous decision.
- Dan Meredith (Cwmbran) beat Sion Richards (Pontypridd) by split decision