On November 13, 2011, I took to the microphone for the first time in an MMA cage. I was extremely nervous, I had previously only watched UFC on Bravo, and didn’t know all the moves and calls (I still don’t know it all), but i was taken on by promoter Ross Pointon (former TUF & UFC fighter) and shown the ropes (or rather the plastic coated chain fencing). That was the start of a nearly seven year friendship that has spanned over 24 other fight nights, (although i have missed a few), and to way to many fights to calculate and mention; and it was fitting that I was able to host the 30th Night of the Gladiators, in the home of nearly five years the Fiction nightclub, Hanley.
The modest crowd on hand bared witness to a short but full card, with two title fights.
- Luke Mahon beat Tom Thornycroft by decision in a great opening K1 contest.
- Omar Khan stopped Luke Osborn at 2.17 of the 3rd round by KO
- Josh McGann retired Richard Sweeten with a blood injury after the 1st round.
- Shaq Jones submitted Sam Fitzpatrick with a guillotine at 1.42 of the 1st round.
- Jody Fullwood knocked out Kyle Radcliffe in an impressive 11 seconds of the 1st round.
- Tom Mullen submitted Dave Cole with a darce choke after just 36 seconds of the 1st round.
- Dan Holbrook stopped Andy Tinkler with an ezekiel choke at 2.41 of the 2nd round.
- Phil Bills knocked out Tyrone McNamara at 1.08 of the 1st round.
- Scott Kelsey submitted Mark Swain by rear naked choke at 1.01 of the 2nd round.
- Matthew Bonnor beat Ben Downling by ground and pound at 2.50 of the 1st round to win the vacant GPUK Amateur Welterweight Championship.
- Nathan Dale successful defended his GPUK Amateur Middleweight Championship against Ash Fletcher by referee stoppage/ground & pound at 2.16 of the 2nd round
I big thanks to everyone who attended the show, and made it great night…here’s to another 30 shows! see you June 24!